A dental emergency is always unexpected, but emergencies happen to many patients every day! If you find yourself in a dental emergency, be prepared by knowing the best steps to take. Ultimately, the first thing you should do is contact your dentist and set up an emergency appointment. However, at times it may be hard to see a dentist right away due to schedule conflicts or after-hours emergencies. Whether you have a damaged tooth, tooth loss, toothache or other issue, your dentist can offer the most help after assessing the problem.
If you are experiencing a tooth ache and cannot get into the dentist immediately, there are a few things you can try while waiting to be seen:
- Apply a cold compress to relieve swelling and pain.
- Take ibuprofen to help reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Swish salt water in your mouth to help reduce infection.
- Floss around the problem area to remove any food that may be causing the pain.
- Do not put off scheduling a dental appointment as minor toothaches can worsen without warning.
If you or a loved one are experiencing a jaw injury, toothache, tooth loss or other dental emergency, our team will go the extra mile to offer the care that you need! If you find yourself with a dental emergency in Modesto, CA, call our office to set up an emergency appointment. We will schedule an emergency exam as quickly as possible to help relieve your pain and treat the problem.